Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Show at Gallery Joe

I just dropped off the work for my show at Gallery Joe, which, in case you're local, opens this Friday from 6:30 to 8:30. The show looks nice, thanks to Becky Kerlin's fabulous eye. She swooped back and forth across the gallery moving things around and making great decisions while making sure that I was happy with how things looked. What a swell gallerist she is. She also sold one of the pieces in the show already: a collector from the west coast bought March!

I also met the other artist in the show- Rachel Perry Welty, who was sitting on the floor slicing up fruit labels and sticking them on to the wall in a truly beautiful way. It's hard to get a read on those fruit label pieces on the internet- I didn't see a finished piece, but I saw enough to think it will look great in person once it's done.

Lots of my recent work is in the show: Suspense, March, Placate, Suspension of Disbelief, Efficacy, and an older piece that I really like, New Romance. There are also some new pieces in her drawers: I've been making some small drawings.



All I Have



Go To Sea


This piece refers to my favorite sentence in Moby Dick, which reads,

. . . whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

The internet provides this definition of hypos:

hypo: (Inflected form: hypos) hypochondria, extreme depression of mind or spirits often [but not always] centered on imaginary physical ailments.




Spectacle



This piece is called Megalomania, or Holland Carter Said in the NY Times that this year's Whitney Bienial was one of "low expectations"

The caterpillar in the image is a tomato hornworm. I love those ugly bugs- they have little eyes in their markings, and the eyes always seem to have really malignant expressions. If you've got the stomach to look at a big image of one, click here.





No comments: