Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cleveland Coincidence

My virtual life is lagging about a week behind my real life. I've got things to say about yesterday and today, but I haven't finished writing about last weekend yet, much less last Wednesday. I'm not sure I'll ever catch up. I blame my processor.

I could just skip last weekend, but that would be depriving myself of the ability to relate one of the coolest coincidences ever to befall a woman with a blog.

Here's the story. I went to Cleveland to celebrate a friend's wedding. We had about three hours to kill before the party, so I decided we should visit the zoo. Visiting zoos in strange cities is one of my favorite things to do when I don't have time to see a museum. Two hours in a new museum would make me feel like I'd been ripped off- two hours in a new zoo is always a bonus.

So off we went, through the hinterlands of detour-ridden Cleveland to the zoo, which was so close to closing by the time we got there that the ticket takers ignored us. We raced in, wanting to see as much as we could in the 45 minutes before the place closed.

First thing we came upon?



Rock Hyraxes! My favorite animal.

Rock hyraxes, besides having the best faces ever, are related to elephants by way of the wooly mammoth.



They're fantastic.



If you don't believe me about their claims to mammoth relatives, you can read about that here.



Or you can just look at their badassed little tusks.

No comments: