Thursday, June 01, 2006

Holy Crap! I mean Sanitary Gel.

Choose. Right now. This.


Versus this.





I just had a freaky experience. About a month ago I read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, which is a severely depressing novel about clones who are raised to be harvested for organs. In Never Let Me Go, the clones are indoctrinated to think of themselves as "donors" and barely recognize that they've been shortchanged. It's maddening. They have plenty of chances to run away and don't because they are passive and depressed and have no connection to the outside world. It made me insane. The whole time I was reading I was like, "GET IN THE CAR AND DRIVE AWAY, YOU PASSIVE ASSHOLE CLONES!" (Exactly like.)

Then tonight I watched "The Island". Clones, raised to be organ donors. But in this one, the clones KICK ASS. They cause innumberable explosions, murder they people they were clones of, and free the other clones. They even have a gratuitous cliffhanger moment on the side of a skyscraper where they scream, "Never Let Me Go!" It was a pretty silly movie, but it was a good time. The clones in this movie got to ride high tech motorcycles, modernist speedboats, and had fashionable Puma tracksuits. In Never Let Me Go they just had doomed love and organ harvesting. Plus a creepy prep school and false dreams about their parents.

So does this mean I don't like art?

No comments: