Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Images of the final piece

I finally put together and posted images of the completed piece for the airport. It's called Exotic Narrative, and it's online here. The image is large, so you may have to wait for it to load, and I'd avoid it if you have a slow modem. You should also know that this is also a working image: I'm getting the piece professionally photographed, but this version is crudely sewn together from several images in photoshop. I'm installing on Friday, and I'll try to take photos of the whole piece once it's up.

Putting work in an airport is fun. It's a little frightening in theory, but the Philadelphia Airport Exhibitions Initiative is great, and the prospect of having such a large piece in a place where so many people can see it is tremendously exciting. The exhibitions program staff assure me that I'll get lots of wacky email from people who were stuck in the airport with nothing to do but look at my work. And actually, what artist does NOT wish for a totally guilt-free opportunity to trap people into looking at their art? It seems pretty ideal to me. A friend of mine has a piece at the airport this month too, and she recently had occasion to fly out of the terminal where her work is: she said she was walking around in front of the piece holding the cover of a book that shows her work, hoping someone would notice, but no one did.

I'm so excited to see it all together-when I look at the images of each section that I put together in Photoshop all I can tell is that I have no idea what it will be like to see the whole thing stretched out in one big line.

No comments: