Friday, January 06, 2006

I won! Virtually...

I don't imagine I'll post much until I get most of the piece I'm doing for the airport done, but I've been lucky enough to see a lot of good work lately, and I do have some updates before I disappear into the studio again.

I recently returned from a visit to my family in Texas, where I saw the amazing work my mom, Margaret Simpson, and her partner Tom Drucker are doing at Slugfest Printmaking Workshop and Gallery, which the two of them run together. I like the work they show very much, particularly that of Jill Thrasher, Mark Dennis and Jennie Schmid who made a great series of morality prints about young girls. Slugfest's current show has some beautiful photographs and a lovely print of chicken heads that I'm going to buy with the virtual money I got from my virtual Pew.

I should explain. When I got home from Texas I discovered that I got a "liberta" award on artblog. My liberta award predicts that I will get a Pew grant, which is a fabulous vote of confidence. The Pew grant is a big, exciting grant that goes to a Philadelphia artist. I have spent this virtual money from my virtual Pew already, of course, mostly on art and good-luck charms that will help me win an actual Pew.

I also returned to Philly to find that my recent show at Vox Populi was reviewed very nicely by Edith Newhall in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Lovely way to come home.

No comments: